I welcome readers: those here to download and cheat, my apologies:

PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning – any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other “picture” art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee , agent , student or any personnel under your direction or control.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Myths of Chronic Pain-uh, duh, REALLY???

Chronic Pain's Common Myths



Approximately 50 people with chronic pain were asked what they thought were some myths about chronic pain. Here are some of their answers, sorted into categories. I've added a few that I have heard others express over the years.

1. Where it is

  • It's all in your head
  • It's purely physical.
2. Doctors
  • Medical science can cure anything. If they can put a man on the moon, they can fix my pain.
  • If you are not getting a cure, someone is holding out on you.
  • The doctors don't care, or else they must have missed something. Maybe both
  • If the doctors won't explain something properly, they are hiding something
  • You have to know exactly what is wrong medically to get better
  • Doctors have all the answers.
  • The doctor is always right.
  • The doctor is never right.
3. Handling pain
  • Better not do things that hurt
  • I just have to push myself harder all the time. No pain, no gain.
4. Work
  • You can't work if you have chronic pain.
  • Besides, no one would hire you.
5. You and others
  • No one ever felt as bad as you. No one could understand.
  • If you don't get better you are either faking or else you enjoy pain somehow.
  • You deserve the pain because of something bad you did.
  • You look so good! How can you have chronic pain?
  • You can't have a good laugh if you are hurting
  • No one is as badly off as you are
  • I should blame myself for getting hurt. Pain is my punishment for making a mistake.
  • I can't do what I did before, so I must be useless
  • I should look miserable so that people will know I'm hurting
6. What helps
  • It will get better if you ignore it.
  • Pain medicine will definitely help chronic pain.
  • Nothing I do can affect my pain, it's too late.
7. What pain means
  • If it hurts, it is damaging you even more.
  • If you have pain, you can never be happy.
  • All pain is the same.

8. Insurance
  • You must live your whole life in fear of being cut off. Don't let anyone see you doing something active.
  • If you can do an activity once, you can do it for a living
  • You should be paranoid of the insurance company
  • Being off work because of pain is a holiday
  • You'll get big bucks if you hurt yourself

9. Medications
  • Narcotic medications are the only solution.
  • Narcotic medications have no side-effects.
  • Reducing narcotics will increase your pain
  • Pain killers kill pain
  • If I hurt, I should take a pill
  • You need to be crazy to take an antidepressant.
  • You will get addicted if you take narcotic medication.
  • Taking medication would mean I'm weak. I'm not a "pill person".
  • Medications are all the same, and all useless.

10. Exercis
  • All exercises and physiotherapy are the same
  • All exercise makes pain worse
  • All exercises are equally effective / ineffective.
  • If it hurts to exercise at the start, it always will
11. Pain management
  • Don't pace yourself. Work on and on and push yourself harder through the pain
  • The pain is someone else's fault; let them do something about it
  • If you manage your pain, it disappears
  • Pain management can't help
  • There is always someone who knows better than you what you should do
  • Pain is stronger than my will


LISTEN TO YOUR BODY

LET PAIN BE YOUR GUIDE-

-NOT YOUR BOSS!!!

If the doctor doesn't believe you:

A picture is worth a thousand words...and a video is worth a million more.  Keep it short--their attention span is.. as lengthy as...ahem, never mind.


Doctors seem to think that I live with the delusion that I will ever be "pain free."  I would have to be put under anesthesia and put in the ICU for the rest of my life....and to some degree, even in a coma, I woulld feel a large amount of pain: so I have to find ways to live with it or I will be a miserabble bitch until the day I die?

Not for me!!!!

i don't want nerve blocks because the high degree of causing a spread, and they've only effective maybe 50% of the time.  I don't know if pumps are a solution at my age.  I want to get back into the pool--so desperately it hurts, ironically.

What I want the doc to remember is


there's a FACE BEHIND THE PAIN,


and the diagnosis of RSD/CRPS
















                 I KNOW PAIN--I LIVE PAIN.

             




WHAT WAS HEALTHY?


I am not sure I really remember--my pain started when I was 8 years old.

I hid it because I feared my borderline mother.  That is on me.

But I was a CHILD!!!  I didn't know better and now I do.

















I know I can get there....I

just NEED A HOME: CUZ

COME JUNE--I AM ON THE


STREETS



Newly diagnosed = grieving:


DENIAL










BARGAINING





ACCEPTANCE











DEPRESSION



ISOLATION








BUT I NEED TO 


HAVE HEALTHY

PEOPLE HELPING ME MAKE THE 

RIGHT DECISIONS!!!!


MORE THAN THAT---I NEED


A PLACE TO STAY IS A GOOD START


TO BE ON MY WAY....

No comments:

Post a Comment